Friday 9 January 2009

Frugal Friday

Following the lead from The Crone, I was thinking about doing a "Frugal Friday" spot. Given I'm not very good at keeping to regular things, let's just see how this goes.

The tip for today is for people who like to sew (I was going to say for the sewers! ;) LOL).

Annoyed with the cost of thread? Invest a few dollars in a cone thread stand for your machine. You can then use overlocking thread for your sewing, which works out a lot cheaper than regular sewing thread (a 2000m spool is only about $2-$3).

I have been doing this for years and I find there are fewer thread breakages than with normal sewing thread (and I used to use top name brands!). Even though it is polyester, I have also found it will stand up to a hot iron when pressing seams in quilts. This thread is suitable for just about any sewing you care to do.

The one drawback with using overlocking thread is that it only comes in a fairly limited number of colours. So, I use it for the bulk of the sewing on a garment or quilt and use the more expensive thread for any top-stitching (if needed). Often, I am able to make a garment without purchasing any thread the exact shade of the fabric.

You would be surprised at how much this can save you.

love and light
naturewitch

4 comments:

Mist said...

Hmm, that's a tip I haven't heard before! I don't sew often (maybe because my sewing machine is still packed away in the attic!?), but I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing, naturewitch.

The Crone at Wits End said...

This was one of the best tips you've ever given me NW!

naturewitch said...

Hi Mist
Maybe it's time for the machine to come downstairs? You really can save lots by sewing your own. xx

Thanks, Crone! xx

Manda said...

Thank you for letting us know about this neat little invention! I've been threading the overlocker thread onto bobbins - but obviously it doesn't last long enough. ;) I'm gunna get me one of these!